In this episode, Tim Cools talks with Jeremy Narby, a Canadian anthropologist, activist and author, about the translational challenges between sciences, cultures and knowledge systems on the matter of plant teachers such as ayahuasca and tobacco.
- Introduction of Jeremy, interests and work
- Science opening up to working with indigenous cultures
- Let indigenous communities guide influence the direction of scientific research
- The challenges of translating between different cultures and ways of knowing
- The view of Amazonian people on plant entities
- Spirit as a Western concept and the indigenous critique
- Challenging the Western concept of nature
- The cosmovisions of indigenous cultures
- The human role in the global ecology
- The plants of the Amazon – How do these plants ‘teach’?
- Understanding the ayahuasca experience from the Indigenous perspective
- Experience of the animal entity
- The biological understanding of plant teachers does not solve the Mind/Body problem
- Understanding our kinship with the biosphere is valuable
About Jeremy Narby
Jeremy Narby, PhD, is co-author of Plant Teachers with indigenous elder Rafael Chanchari Pizuri. He became an early pioneer of ayahuasca research while living with the Ashaninca people of the Peruvian Amazon in the 1980s. He studied anthropology at Stanford University and now lives in Switzerland and works as Amazonian projects director for Nouvelle Planète, a nonprofit organization that promotes the economic and cultural empowerment of indigenous peoples. Jeremy is also the author of the award-winning book The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge, which was originally published in 1998.
About Tim Cools
Tim is a psychedelic integration specialist and legal psychedelic guide. He facilitates powerful, life-changing experiences for professionals, to help their professional lives come in alignment with personal ambition and values.
Tim is a Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) teacher, a certified coach, and psychedelic advocate, educator and guide.
He is an entrepreneur and co-founder of Tools Of Awareness, a personal development center focussed on combining psychedelics and mindfulness to grow personal and interpersonal awareness though (online) courses and retreats.
Furthermore, he founded Psychedelic Experience, an online non-profit platform for information surrounding psychedelic substances. It’s a community based non-profit organization, created by and for psychedelic and plant medicine communities.
His personal interests are technology, meditation, metaphysical and eastern philosophies, shamanism and the healing power of nature and plants